When we heard there was a new joint in the East Village that serves both craft cocktails AND craft beers on tap, we were dubious. Throw in a tasty burger starting at $7 and we were downright cynical. Could Boilermaker be THE REAL DEAL?? We recently explored and couldn’t help but be impressed.
History Lesson: A shot and a beer chaser was the drink of choice for factory workers during the Industrial Revolution, and the combination took on the name of its most loyal drinker – the “Boilermaker.” With prices and an interior that hark back to that time period (décor features burlap, wood and metal surfaces), this place will easily become your new favorite chill spot. Boilermaker’s prices range from $10-11 (cocktails), $5-8 (beer), $7-11 (burgers).
YES – we are saying that you can take a date and get out for less than $50 in Manhattan.
Notable west coast bartenders Erick Castro and Don Lee, along with co-owners Greg Boehm of Cocktail Kingdom and James Tune, created the new East Village concept. “It’s a neighborhood bar that happens to have great cocktails,” says Castro, who relocated from San Diego where his bar Polite Provisions recently won “Best High Volume Bar” at Tales of the Cocktail’s 2014 Spirited Awards.
BOILERMAKER by the numbers:
- 12 rotating beer taps
- 3 beers by the bottle or can
- 4 cocktails on tap *yes, you read that right!
- 11 cocktails by the glass
- 2 punches by the pitcher *for those nights when you feel ambitious
- 4 Boilermaker shot-and-beer pairings
Chef Miguel Trinidad rounds out the mix of masterminds behind Boilermaker, creating a menu inspired by the best burger joints in the country. Here’s the kicker – that burger is not going to cost you the equivalent of a one week subway pass (ahem, unnamed tavern on Minetta Street).
Chef Trinidad recently won Time Out New York’s Battle of the Burger, so he has serious street cred. His hand-pressed 4-oz burger can be enjoyed with an array of extra toppings and mayo blends. But the piece de resistance has to be the truffle mayo–we can’t stop dreaming about it! Don’t forget some savory sides and dessert.
Open 7 days a week from 5pm – 2am on most nights, and 4am on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, we have your perfect weekend game plan right here:
Go to Boilermaker for the drinks. Stay for the food.
13 First Avenue
(corner of First Street)
Photo Credit: Paul Wagtouicz
Draft beer selection:
- Bear Republic Red Rocket, CA 6.8% ABV
Scottish-style red ale; full-bodied and hoppy with sweet, caramel malt flavors
- Founders Pale Ale, Grand Rapids, MI 5.4% ABV
Medium-bodied with refreshing citrus flavor & a distinctive floral hop aroma
- Ithaca Flower Power Ipa, Ithaca, NY 7.5% ABV
Bold and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit
- River Horse Tripel Horse, Ewing, NJ 10% ABV
Belgian-style Tripel Ale fermented with hints of vanilla and complex flavors
- Victory Storm King Stout, Downington, PA 9.1% ABV
Mellow subtleties of roasted malt with an espresso-like character in its finish
Cocktails On Draft:
- Five String Banjo – Bourbon & Billy Pilgrim’s Vanilla Cream Soda
- Uncle Jalapeno – Blanco tequila, jalapeno & Prince Robot’s Pineapple Soda
- Zombie – Barbados rum, Jamaican rum, 151, fresh lime, fresh grapefruit, Falernum, grenadine, cinnamon gomme, absinthe & bitters (Maximum Two per Guest)
- Full Windsor – Scotch, Calvados, sweet vermouth, Benedictine, Peychaud’s Bitters & Angostura Bitters