Saturday, September 12, 2015
11:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Erie Basin Park (next to IKEA)
1 Beard Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
This year’s 6th Annual Pig Island will take place on Saturday, September 12th, and include 20+ chefs serving up specialty pork dishes made from pork sourced locally from Flying Pigs Farms. Pig Island’s mission is to support NY State farmers by purchasing heritage hogs with proceeds from the event going directly to support NY farmers.
After last year’s event, we heard you and have made some changes to improve logistics. Thus, this year’s Pig Island will be offering fewer tickets overall and adding some group packages. All tickets include all-you-can-eat pork dishes, plus all-you-can-drink beer by Sixpoint, NY State wines, cider and – new this year – whiskeys!
ALL-INCLUSIVE tickets will include unlimited drink and food from the following chefs we expect to see behind the grills (all subject to change/availability):
PIG ISLAND 2015 CHEFS (AS OF 8/31/15; SUBJECT TO CHANGE):
- Kurt Michael Friese (founding leader of Slow Food Iowa and Slow Food USA board member, Iowa City restaurant Devotay) will team with Ryan Byrd of Fleisher’s Craft Butchery
- Butcher Shop Hudson and Charles
- East Village Favorite Northern Spy
- Sotto 13 – Chef Ed Cotton
- Thomas Perone (NYC Pig Guy) will be returning to serve up Agape Pulled Pork Sandwich: Grecian Style Pulled Pork, Crispy Skin, Pork Belly, Feta and Spiced up Tzatziki
- Blujeen (Harlem) – Chef Lance Knowling
- Michael Jenkins (Butter) returns for the sixth year
- Pitmaster Robbie Richter, the original pitmaster for Hill Country BBQ and Fatty ‘Cue Brooklyn
- Egg Restaurant’s Evan Hanczor and George Weld will serve up a Braised Bacon End Sandwich with Salsa Verde and Egg Hot Sauce
- Martin Høedholt of Revolving Dansk/Copenhagen Street Dogs
- Ovelia – Peter Giannakas
- Ends Meat – Chef John Ratliff
- Erika Nakamura and Jocelyn Guest of The Breslin Bar & Dining Room
- Arrogant Swine – Chef Tyson Ho will be serving up Whole Hog Loatian-Style with Ginger-Grapefruit Foam
- Route 66 Smokehouse – Pitmaster Bill Kooper
- Danny Mena and Evan Smith of Hecho en Dumbo
- King Phojanakong from Tito King’s Kitchen at Jimmy’s No. 43 will serve whole roasted Filipino-style “Lechon” pig
- Roni-Sue’s Chocolates will cook up Nasty Bits: Bacon/Chile Pretzels
- Chef Jesse Jones (Chef Jesse Concepts)
- Neuman’s Kitchen
- Plus, vegetarian options from Bittergreen and NYC Hot Sauce Company
- More, TBA
In addition, we’ll have craft beer from Sixpoint, plus more NY State wine, cider and whiskies this year. There will be great chef prizes for best dishes courtesy of sponsor WÜSTHOF. New this year: all our chefs will be grilling over Royal Oak Charcoal! We also plan on having a water vendor return this year in the event of another hot September.
Or beat the heat with your very own VIP tent! VIP tents include a private tent, table, dedicated wine service and entry for six (additional tickets can be purchased if your party is larger than six people; as always, kids under 12 are free with paying adult).
BREAKING NEWS: The Sixth Annual Pig Island has been designated a Taste NY event! We are proud of our mission and the impact we have made on small farms in our region. Every year we buy a substantial number of (typically 50-80) whole hogs from one small family-owned farm at market rates. This is money directly to the farmer and his community. We are thrilled to be recognized as a Taste NY event, and hope you’ll be going hog wild with us as Pig Island returns on Saturday, September 12th, at Erie Basin Park in Red Hook (across from IKEA) right on the Red Hook waterfront for an all-day Brooklyn pork fest!
PLEASE NOTE EVENT IS RAIN OR SHINE. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS. TICKETS ARE ALL-INCLUSIVE (ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT PORK/SIDES + ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK NY STATE BEER/WINE/CIDER/WHISKEY).