Last week, Thrillist celebrated the nearing end of 2015 with their second annual Fest of the Best celebration, bringing together all of the city’s best eats.
From meats and seafood to desserts and bakeries, here’s what went down as the top NYC spots.
We came in hungry and made a beeline to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que for their Memphis-style pulled pork sandwich doused with BBQ sauce, and they were serious about making sure all the pork was appropriately pulled apart and tender.
With all the hustling we were doing, we needed to carb load. The porcini ravioli from Trattoria Il Mulino, which was served with champagne truffle sauce, was delicious and comforting. Delaware and Hudson served up a sophisticated mac and cheese with tomato confit topped with a potato chip crust for crunchy texture.
To digest for a short bit, we waited on the long line that formed for a Blue Ribbon Sushi, since they were taking made-to-order fish request for each hand roll. While soy sauce was available, the fresh slices of fish and the vinegar rice really did not need anything else. Another crowd favorite is Luke’s Lobster with mini versions of their signature lobster rolls.
We loved the carnitas tacos from Mesa Coyoacan, where their table needed to be constantly replenished. My favorite dish of the night went to MP Taverna for their exceptional gyro Greek tacos. The roasted lamb was delicious and spiced, which was complemented by the refreshing yogurt sauce. Even the tortilla was soft and warm.
While scarfing down all of the delicious food, guests enjoyed drinks from Jack Daniel’s, Liberated Wine and Six Point, and danced to live music from The Rad Trads.
The complete list of the Fest of the Best restaurants and their winning dishes include:
- Best Barbecue: Dinosaur Bar-B-Que // Memphis-Style Pulled Pork, BBQ Sauce, Jack Daniel’s Onion Relish, House-Made Pickle
- Best Burger: Saxon & Parole // S+P Burger w/ Dry Aged Angus Burger, Pennsylvania Havarti, Maple Bacon
- Best Mac & Cheese: Delaware and Hudson // Mac & Cheese w/ Tomato Confit, Potato Chip Crust
- Best Steak: Cafe Clover // Meiller Farm Beef Striploin w/ Brussels, Olive Oil Potato Puree
- Best Sushi: Blue Ribbon Sushi // Assorted Handrolls (Spicy Tuna, Tuna & Scallion, Salmon, Yellowtail & Yuzu Pepper, Spicy Crab, Avocado, Cucumber)
- Best Seafood: Luke’s Lobster // Lobster Roll
- Best Brunch: Parker & Quinn // Salmon & Eggs w/ Fennel-Cured Salmon, Burrata, Pumpernickel, Farm Egg
- Best Greek: MP Taverna // Gyro Spiced Greek Tacos w/ Pulled roasted lamb, yogurt, pickled fennel, radishes, cucumber
- Best Mexican: Mesa Coyoacan // Tacos De Carnitas
- Best Italian: Trattoria Il Mulino // Porcini Ravioli w/ Champagne Truffle Sauce
- Best Bagel: Ess-a-Bagel // Nova with cream cheese (veg/scallion/plain) on a piece of bagel with capers; Whitefish Salad on a piece of bagel; Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese on a piece of bagel
- Best Dessert: Ample Hills Creamery // Ooey Gooey Butter Cake, Chocolate Milk & Cookies, The Munchies Ice Cream
- Best Bakery: Sprinkles // Mini Red Velvet, Salty Caramel, Sprinkle Cupcake
We’re excited to check out all of these restaurants and eat our way through 2016.
Photos via Thrillist and by Socially Superlative