The Italian brand Dolce and Gabbana has continued to make its mark as a luxury brand since its beginnings in 1985. Founded by Italian designers Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce, the brand was first showcased in the New Talents section of Milano Collezioni’s fashion show.
Since that time, the luxury fashion house has quickly become known for its signature looks, including:
• The female pantsuit inspired by the traditional business suit as well as by powerful, confident Sicilian women
• Elaborate embellishments, such as animal prints, black lace, pinstripes, and embroidery
• The Sicilian dress that combines vibrant fabric with a slip-like silhouette
The Dolce and Gabbana brand is now extending its reach by partnering with other companies and designers. Here are a few of the top collaborations and partnerships that are creating a buzz in the fashion world.
A very exciting collaboration is currently underway between Dolce and Gabbana and London-based designer Miss Sohee. This exciting, young designer was born in Korea but now works in London, England, where she designs womenswear with exciting silhouettes. Her creations have been worn by top celebrities, including Cardi B, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, and Naomi Campbell.
The Dolce and Gabbana fashion house plans to help this exciting young designer create a new collection and showcase it at a runway event during Milan Fashion Week in February. For an up-and-coming designer like Miss Sohee, this kind of support can make all the difference. Not only will the luxury fashion brand provide logistical support and showcase opportunities, but the encouragement of having a major brand behind you can make all the difference. The world is excitedly awaiting the unveiling in February.
In another collaboration with an up-and-coming designer, the Dolce and Gabbana fashion house recently partnered with British-American designer Harris Reed. The resulting creation was revealed on the red carpet of New York City’s Met Gala by none other than iconic supermodel Iman. Described as dramatic and otherworldly, the look featured:
• A gold brocade bustier and pants
• A cage overskirt adorned with feathers
• A dramatic feather headpiece that complemented the overskirt
• Styling that included plenty of eye-catching accessories
Dolce and Gabbana’s collaborations are not limited to clothing. For example, the brand has partnered with Donnafugata, a Sicilian winemaker that has been in business for over a century. United by their mutual desire to deliver the colors and scents of Sicilian culture to the rest of the world, they have jointly created several wines, including:
• Rosa – rosé wine with a delicate bouquet of jasmine, rose, and fruity notes
• Isolano – white wine with a bouquet of citrus and Mediterranean herbs
• Cuordilava – red wine with a bouquet of small red fruits combined with spicy notes
• Tancredi – red wine with a bouquet of plums, blueberries, and hints of both licorice and sweet tobacco
Similarly, the Dolce and Gabbana fashion brand has ventured outside the traditional fashion world by joining forces with the Italian appliance company Smeg. The partnership has created uniquely beautiful appliances that tell a story. Using bold motifs, Sicilian decorations, and colorful images, the duo has released everything from coffee makers to mixers to toasters.
In a unique collaboration back in 2006, the fashion house partnered with Motorola to create a special edition gold cell phone known as the Motorola Razr V3i Dolce and Gabbana phone. Also offered were designer accessories, such as a signature leather pouch, headphones, earphones, and a D&G phone holder.
The luxury fashion house of Dolce and Gabbana has been making an impact on the fashion world since its start in 1985. In recent years, the Dolce and Gabbana brand has been extending its reach in exciting new ways, such as partnerships with other businesses and collaborations with up-and-coming young designers. It will be exciting to see where they go next!